You might have noticed that children from multilingual families learn two or more languages quickly. That’s because they are regularly exposed to immersive learning and learn the language in many forms. Their parents speak with them, read stories, and create a conducive environment for learning languages. It allows them to pick up the language quickly because they’re experiencing it in a natural setting.
How Does Modern Virtual Reality Technology Help?
Virtual reality (VR) offers an immersive experience. It encompasses your entire field of vision and hearing, so your senses are being bombarded with input. Virtual reality intensifies the experience, which is why it has become such a popular option in the gaming industry. VR is also used in education, especially in the medical field. Doctors are experimenting with VR to help students see and interact with different aspects of the patient’s body.
There’s no reason why this technology can’t be used to teach languages. VR makes retention easier and shortens the time it takes to learn new things.
The Benefits of VR Technology for Language Learning
There are several benefits of using VR technology for learning a new language. Here’s a look at some of them in detail:
- Easy to Create a Learning Environment – You can easily create an immersive learning environment with native speakers and people who have mastered the language.
- Accessible – The system is easily accessible, and users can utilize it at their convenience. You can get into the VR system while you’re at home or office. There’s no need to travel to a class venue or meeting place to get in touch with native speakers.
- No Need to Travel – There’s no need to travel to the country to experience the language. For example, you don’t need to spend some time in France to have an immersive French learning experience. This saves time, money, and helps you speak like a native.
VR technology makes language learning easy and fun. Learners are motivated to stay on the path and complete the entire course.
VR Language Learning Platforms
- AltSpace – https://altvr.com/
AltSpace is a social media platform where you can meet people from different countries and interact with them directly through VR. You can attend events, carry out conversations, participate in games, and so much more.
- VR Chat – https://www.vrchat.com/
VRChat is a multiplayer game that allows you to create, publish, and explore virtual worlds. You can interact with people from across the globe and learn new languages through them.
- High Fidelity – https://www.highfidelity.com/
This is an open-source VR platform that allows people to build and explore VR worlds as well.
If you’re interested in learning languages and want to have some fun at the same time, VR is the best option.